[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

My name is Jason- I am a dongle foggot.

Posted By: Jason Hinkle
Date: 12/3/19 02:11

The first step is acceptance and shit or whatever, right?

So this isn't my first foray into the sweaty dongle bathhouse- I built a Raspberry Pi box that uses GPS and ADS-B dongles to give full everything information in the planes via bluetooth to an ipad using Foreflight. That was fairly easy, even whupping up the J-Pole antennae out of 1/4" copper tape (with conductive backing) taped to the rear window for the ADS-B worked awesome.

So I wanted to listen in on airborne traffic over the homestead, seeing as how it gets kinda busy in the summer, and I just like listening. Hoped to get something that could pick up Marine traffic as well, as that can get a bit heated around here also. So I get to digging and I find this-

https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Some fancyass dongle that can tune into anywhere from 24 1766 MHz. That's a fucking shit ton of MHzes, right? Right. And that's dipshit cheap, like living in a black mold infested fifth wheel in the Mobile Acres Estates in Houston cheap, seeing as how it comes with a fancy TV rabbit ears antenna and some wires that look important and some suction cup thing that'll probly come in handy doing something someday- so fuck it, bought it. Then went here-

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

OF COURSE I DIDN'T READ ALL THAT SHIT. I don't do that, I'm just not wired that way. But what I did do was to somehow manage to download and install the software package, mainly SDR# and get the retard TV rabbit ears hooked up and connected and son of a bitch the next thing you there's Pink Floyd on the local FM radio station at the worst lowest fidelity you've ever heard.

SUMBITCH WORKED. So I get to work and do some maths (maths are involved in radio shit, that's part of how it keeps you from getting laid) and 'tune' the rabbit ears in and pick up Anchorage airport approach. With a fucked up garage sale TV antenna. Sitting on the floor in the homestead.

So now I've got the parts to build a 7 foot long J-Pole and a 5 foot half wave dipole. Then there's supposed to be some way you can download satellite shit? Goddamn- all that birth control out of a single dongle. I am fucking impressed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT