[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

Apparently some re-wiring is required...

Posted By: danbrew (hw)
Date: 9/9/19 18:50

I have a few fluorescent fixtures in the new house - a couple in the garage and a couple in the laundry room. One or two bulbs needed to be replaced, so off to Home Depot I went. First, I bought the wrong size, Damn. So I go back to get the right size - F32T8. While Iím sitting there holding the fluorescent bulbs in my hands, I look over and see that they have LED bulbs too. Hmmm, now that the prices of LED have come down and they generally put out a lot of light, I decide to get LED. Been very pleased with LED screw in bulbs everywhere else Iíve used them.

Well, damn, I put in a few bulbs and no joy. What the fuck, over? I look a little closer at the bulbs and they have an L and an N on each end of the LED fluorescent like fixture. Hmm, I figure, I guess orientation makes a difference. I swap the orientation. No joy. No LED. What the fuck, over???

I do a little reading and now it seems that they recommend replacing the entire fixture before using LED bulbs in an older fluorescent fixture. Fuck me. Then I see a website that says you can bypass the ballast as it is not needed for LED lights. Well, fuck, itís a new (to me) house, Iím sure as fuck not gonna jerry rug the fixtures if I donít understand it. It would be easy enough to go get new fixtures and just replace the fuckení things, but I figure itíd also be pretty fuckení easy to return the 10-pack of LED bulbs that I paid $80 for and just go buy some fluorescent bulbs sans the LED part.

I am a big fan of LED, but this is more work than I was planning as a quick, ten second, change the fuckení bulb.

So... am I right? Do I need to re-wire the fixture to bypass the ballast? Or just replace the fixture to use LED bulbs? 99.999% sure Iím just gonna get fluorescent bulbs, but am curious if I understand things here. Comments appreciated.

:)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT