[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

Saxon's embarrassing good samaritan moment...

Posted By: Saxon
Date: 8/24/19 22:41

Wife and I all over hill and dale today. Spent the morning charging up flat top mountain (the falls side is an easy serpentine, while the Peaks side is a flat out quad buster and we did the Peaks side). Chugged back down and then went to Mountain Fruit and Produce to get some treats and sammiches before going behind it and out to Claytor Nature Center. Hidden gem. So few folks go there or know about it, and it is literally one of the most beautiful vistas in Bedford. Eat on the deck all by ourselves, and then hike the trails there. Roll into town, shop sheds. Dang it I'm going to get a shed. Tired of having to use the garage space to do it. Find a suitable and quite nice one. Very attractive. Metal roof, 10x12 (all I need for this application), with overhead storage. Dark brown and mocha color, will hide well by the trees. Head over to Kroger's to get some veggies. Been on a strict diet and have lost about 35-40 pounds, though I don't tend to weight myself much. My goal is to get my abs to resurface. Top two sets are out somewhat, but I'm going to go for washboard. Finish up there and take everything out to the car. Decide there where to go to eat. So many choices, but Liberty hosting Syracuse, 1st game of the season, lawdy, stay away from Wards Road, where many of the nice places to eat are. Traffic can be murderous.

As we are discussing this in the parking lot, wife looks over and says, huh, do you just want to go to Subway and motions with her head. Ah, one in the shopping center about a hundred yards from us. Uh, do you? She says, whatever, I'm just really hungry. I am too, we really chugged it up the slope at Peaks of Otter. I say, sure. We go in there and eat, really nice. Kids are all doing something, so the whole day has been she with he and he with she. We finish and leave, and as we are crossing the parking lot, we see a couple in a Toyota Avalon try to start the car. Brr-rr-rrrr-rrr-clickclickclickclickclickclick... "@#$%&!!#!"

Without missing a beat, I call out, "I've heard that sound before. Battery's drained." He goes on to explain how it happened. Left lights on in older car that won't shut lights off. Ah, easy fix. Tell him I'll jump him, and he accepts.

Now, I like redundancy. I have a battery jumper and a set of cables. Figure, hey this is a chance to try the battery pack. I store it at the back of the minivan, in one of the 400 cubby holes the van seems to have. And now the embarrassing part: I can't remember which of the two third row passenger cubbys I had it stored in. Hey, no problem, I'll just... and I open first cubby and then the second cubby, only to find the box and cables spread between both of them, battery pack on one side and cables on the other. And both bags holding the necessary parts to jump this dude's car, on both sides of the van, are covered with ammunition boxes. I had to, with this grateful dude watching on and chatting me up, unload 520 rounds worth of ammunition boxes off the top of the jumper and cables. On vacation, I had run across a steal of a deal on 9mm, like 6.50 a box on a loss leader giveaway at a local gun shop in Florida. Forgot that I had purchased them, and that I had stored them in the cubbys. Guy didn't seem to think anything about it, but mentally I was like, "Saxon, idiot, you gotta offload this as soon as you get home." Felt really, really weird to have to pull all of the shell boxes out into the open in front of a stranger. That won't happen again. I did try a quick transition from cubby into a rear reusable grocery bag, so at least they weren't laying out in all their glory.

As it turned out, the fella didn't get that you had to wait a coupla minutes after plugging in a battery pack, started trying to crank the thing right away, which won't work with this particular battery pack, and so I just tossed it in the back and moved to where I could cable jump him, which worked very well, and immediately.

Through this process, guy told my wife about the sort of aloof woman in his car. "Ya, we got married and then divorced, and then remarried and then redivorced, and now we're just good friends." Guy was nice as heck and just a very salt of the earth, friendly guy. Wanted to pay us for helping him, but we refused. Told them to use the money to stop for ice cream, which lit the old lady's eyes up like a lamp. No way that old boy got home without shelling out for a little Rocky Road or something.

On the plus side, and this is absolutely no joke, I finally found the Sig that I had been missing. I had been like, where the heck is it? Not in any of the usual haunts. Had it beneath the ammo on the right side, stored in only the finest of Food Lion bags with its spare mags.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT