[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

Why a $500 hammer isn't a rip off...

Posted By: Lukem / Z
Date: 7/7/20 02:28

Quality control, checks and standards met. That's why.

Sure, it's a buzzword and why ERRYBODY knows that spending more than $9 on a hammer is a ripoff.

Well. I tell ya, and those of yall that care to listen, here's the details.

I bought a used truck and trailer. Super price. Nearly printed cash-money I was so happy with the deal. Once it was mine, I separated the two and went about tooling around in my chevrolet, tokin' on a number and diggin' on the radio. Hauled a million pounds of freight on the trailer, only having to replace a few lights and a tire/wheel assembly. All those miles were on the new hitch and proper trucks.

Had a haul today, went outside and my personal truck was already fat and happy with a tractor, mower, used tires, empty fuel tanks and loaded up. No need to use that truck for such a short run.

So I take the other truck out. It's a single cab, clear rear glass and PERFECT for hauling an 8k tandem gooseneck for a 10 mile haul.

You see here... I'm already printing money.

I slick that truck back under the gooseneck, drop that coupler on the ball and pull the landing gear up, secure it and even have my wife snap some pics for her snapgraps and bullshit. We spend about 20 minutes airing up tires as this goose hasn't moved in a while and 3/4 of the tires are low.

We roll, wave at dogs, drink some water and just move on down the road.
Come up to a railroad crossing and I just shut down and creep across. Not too sure about this goose's running gear and this little Dually doesn't need any drama and we're in no hurry. We roll through just fine. Radio is working great as well.

10 minutes later we come to an intersection. I slip the synchro'd tranny out of 3rd and hit the brakes. We stop. Less than .9 seconds later, I'm jacked up in the intersection and the goose and my truck have separated. Violently. Obviously, a concrete truck has rear ended us.
I hop out and see that it's only this goose, trying to get into the cab with me.

I jump in the bed and check the hitch. My hot Asian wife jumps up and checks as well.

Turns out this truck and trailer combo I bought had a gooseneck ball what was less than 2-5/16". I never knew as I cut the neck off the trailer when I got it home and replaced with a bulldog adjustable goose that could handle a ride height from my 2wd trucks to my personal jacked up 4x4 RAM 3500. I do that as I have a hobby of buying/trading/selling gooseneck trailers. 30+ years of towing and found out yesterday that there are gooseneck balls less than 2-5/16th".

So, first time out with this truck, pulling a regular 8k lb goose, the trailer jumped off the ball when I stopped.

That $80k I saved buying this truck/trailer electric over a new hydraulic rig has saved me $0 at this point.

Lamar and PJ trailers have NEVER done this to me. Never had anything like this with my Fords or Rams prior. I'm a little rattled.

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

RSS feed for Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board

THIS SHOULD BE HIDDEN TEXT